Thursday, October 22, 2009

Planning Sleep Out For The First Time...

But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish. Psalms 9:18

Hey, I’m Andy Jack, Middle School Pastor at Christ Church of Oak Brook and my group is participating in Sleep Out Saturday for the first time. I was born, raised, and educated in DuPage County. I received my MA degree in Christian Formation and Ministry from Wheaton College and I am an ordained minister in the Evangelical Church Alliance. I live in Wheaton with my wife, Kathy, daughter, Emma, and our new baby, Addison, born in September.

I was recently asked to share some of my thoughts about the event…

Why did you decide to do SOS?
It just makes sense for us to be the hands and feet of Jesus to the people in our own community. Serving our neighbors is what we want to be about as a church and student ministry. Yet, there are not a lot of organizations that will work with young teens. The SOS experience seems to be a very age-appropriate program that allows students to use their gifts and passions for a meaningful cause.

How do you think this event will be different/similar to things you've done in the past like the 30-hour famine?
I think it will tap into their desire to serve the same way many of our other events have. Our students desperately want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. Anytime we can provide students with a way to take risks, go beyond themselves, and make a difference, they respond. Any time we set the bar high, they go beyond what anyone expects of them.

What are you looking forward to most?
I am looking forward to our students experiencing the rally with hundreds of other students. I cannot begin to imagine the kind of energy that would come out of that kind of crowd.

What are you concerned about?
The sleeping arrangements seem like a logistical challenge for us. Honestly, I haven’t even begun to plan for that part of the weekend.

How do you think SOS will impact the kids you lead?
I hope and pray it wakes us up from our suburban apathy. Students and adults are blind to the issues of poverty, hunger and homelessness in our community. We think that kind of stuff happens somewhere else, but never in our own towns. Confronting our students with the truth should be enough to move them into action.

Feel free to contact me if you have any great tips for us, or if you want to talk to another “first timer.” ajack@cc-ob.org

Peace.

Andy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update you on the baby news. Addison was born September 21 and is healthy and happy!

Andy