Thursday, October 11, 2007

Where do you go if you don’t have a Home?

Where do you go if you don’t have a home? Most people probably never have to ask themselves that question. But, sometimes a few poor choices start adding up and then the bottom falls out. That’s what happened to Carrie when she realized the man she married was not a good choice and was making her life miserable. When rent money ran out, she figured she could lean on a few friends and stay at their homes. She found out quickly that wasn’t really going to work and had no back-up plan. So, Carrie and her preschool daughter ended up staying in a cornfield that summer. This is her story in her own words:

“Everything was going pretty good until my ex-husband stole the only vehicle I had and also the only money I had for savings. I eventually got into College of DuPage and applied for grants and scholarships. I was told I’d have those grants and scholarships by the time rent came due. However, that didn’t happen…”

“I chose not to go through the eviction process so I thought well, it’s summertime, my daughter and I could camp out or stay at a couple of people’s houses and try to rotate, but that didn’t work out. I was lucky enough that someone gave me a tent and my daughter and I ended up going to various cornfields and slept there at night. I kept a pretty good schedule for us. We did eat and I had a job.”

“Unfortunately, by the time winter came around, I didn’t get my grant and scholarship money, so it started getting cold for us at night. I continued going to school. I would study in the tent by moonlight. I got good grades but my daughter ended up with a 107 degree temperature and we decided to just stay out here….”

Carrie found out about Bridge Communities and was able to get much-needed help. At Bridge, they help clients stop the cycle of poverty so when they leave the program, he or she has new skills for employment, for making sound decisions and for setting goals and a budget for the future.

Carrie’s daughter is now in first grade. When she came to the program, she needed special care and tutoring to catch up to other kids her age. She is now able to attend a typical elementary school.

Now that Carrie has been through the Bridge program, let’s hope and pray she never has to ask herself again, “Where do you go if you don’t have a home?”

No comments: